Your body and mind desperately needs rest to function properly. Take a look at your sleep habits to find out whether you’re making these major mistakes:
1. Adults need seven to nine hours of quality nightly sleep for
optimal health, productivity, and daytime alertness.
2. If you sleep on your back, wedge one under your knees to take
pressure off your lower back. Or if you sleep on your side, lock a pillow underneath your top armpit to support your arm and one between your legs to keep your spine aligned.
3. Sleeping face down can cause some obvious issues — like not being
able to breathe, for instance. Because you need to turn your head to one side to get air in and out, you inherently twist your spine. Lock a thin pillow under your abdomen to take pressure off your back:
4. If you plan to drink a few stiff ones, start early and slow down
toward the end of the night.
5. A consistent sleep schedule helps your body know when it’s time
to fall asleep and wake up it makes mornings less painful.
6. Recent research suggests skimping on sleep can actually lead to
permanent brain damage that can compromise your alertness and brain power — and binge-sleeping can’t mend that.
7. Whenever you eat dinner less than three hours before bedtime,
you put yourself at risk for heartburn and indigestion so have an early dinner.
8. Ideally, your pillow should elevate your head and neck just
enough to keep your spine straight while you sleep.
9. Side-sleeper tendency can restrict your breath and compromise
the quality of your sleep. Hold a body pillow under your top arm and leg to unwind your limbs and lengthen your spine.
10. If your mattress has a large indentation in the middle, or, your
body sags into the mattress when you lie on it, then buy a foam cover or a new mattress can help.
11. Always sleep in sheets and pajamas made of cotton, bamboo, or natural fiber.
17. A warm bath or shower will raise your body temperature, so by the time you tuck in, your temperature naturally will be dipping back down, which gets your body into sleep mode so you fall asleep faster.