You wake up on Saturday morning with a throbbing head and all at once the memories last night’s party come gushing back to you. Instead of ‘rise & shine’ you ‘rise & whine’. What’s worse the revulsion, body pain, soaring heart rate, dehydration and swollen face add to your splitting headache. Without warning; previous night’s fun has become a day-mare!
Although, alcohol itself is has minimal influence; yet the aftereffects of the chemicals formed when alcohol disintegrates is the root cause of a hangover. Furthermore, the chemical constituents in alcohol cause your brain to adapt accordingly; making you ecstatic, confident and free while consuming drinks. But when your alcohol intake is disrupted a counter reaction takes place. This gives rise to the woozy, morose and low feeling the subsequent morning.
So the most efficient way to avert from a hangover? Well, apart from the obvious (Don’t drink too much!) there are a few natural remedies to quicken its recovery.
- Water & other Fluids: To rehydrate your body drink up to 10 glasses of water. Along with this consume sports drinks and coconut water to regain the depleted salts and potassium.
- Tomato Juice: Once in the morning and in the afternoon drink tomato juice or soup with a tablespoon of honey and lemon.
- Banana: To restore the potassium eat 2 bananas with your morning breakfast.
- Lemon: Slowly drink lemon juice and honey combined with warm water 2 – 3 times during the day. It will balance your body pH and blood sugar amount.
- Ginger: Cut a dozen wedges of ginger and boil with 4 cups of water. Filter and add juice of half a lemon, juice from an orange and half a cup honey. Drink it up!
- Eggs on Toast: Have a heavy breakfast with a few slices of toast with eggs.
- Peppermint: Helps relieve the stomach. Through the day just chew some peppermint leaves. Or you can even try adding a tablespoon of dry peppermint to boiling water. Strain it and drink it in the morning.
- Warm Shower: This will ease the muscular and body discomfort and pain
- Go back to bed: If you have nothing on your plate for the day – then just hop back into bed! The rest will ease the hangover symptoms and cure it faster. This is most effective.
But Why Bear the Harsh Effects of Excess Drinking?
Try the following countermeasures to prevent the adversity of a hangover:
- Consume some water in between drinks to retain body water.
- Avoid having alcohol on an empty stomach
- Drink alcohol tastefully; swallow sip by sip.
- Sweet food items should not be eaten along with the drinks; this triggers the hangover effect
- Don’t smoke along with drinking; it can upset the stomach
- Eat foods which have high amounts of fibre. This will help decompose the alcohol and prevent it from entering the bloodstream.
Keep in mind, the best prevention and cure for a hangover is to drink adequate amounts. Have fun, but not at the cost of your health!